Sunday, November 16, 2008

Currently Pondering: Upcoming Birthday Party for a Three-Year-Old Boy

Possible Themes:
Teddy Bears (something of an obsession with him)
ABCs and/or 123s (also something of an obsession, but I did this last year, so...)
Dinosaurs

It's a work-in-progress. I've still got to decide on a cake, menu, and decorations. Also, make the thank-you cards.

Which reminds me that I need to get started making my Christmas cards. Argh! And I thought I was catching up...

Update: This morning we chose a theme (based on a cake I found in one of my books). We're going to have a football theme, complete with a football field cake sporting teddy graham bear football players and goalposts made out of white-chocolate dipped pretzel rods. So awesome!

Now, I'll have to think carefully about the menu. How to balance the taste of a choosy 3-year-old who likes mostly sweet foods (when asked what he wants to eat for the meal at his birthday party, he responded "cake!") with the tastes of a group of mainly adults, some of whom don't like "breakfast for dinner" (one of my favorite meal strategies). I'll probably be trying to decide between a brunch menu vs. spaghetti or pizza. (Update: pulled pork sandwiches and cheese ball shaped like a football, and cobb salad! Exciting!)

Decor: I'm hoping I can find some blue and gold balloons and streamers. There are, after all, lots of big ND fans around here, my son included.

I'm still working on the thank-you cards. There's got to be something original I can do with them. (Update: I got blue and gold note cards and stenciled footballs on them in one corner, and stamped "Thank You" on them. They are, I think, fairly appropriate for a kid's thank-you note.)

No comments: