Monday, November 05, 2007

Book Recommendation: The Knitting Circle

I just finished a book called The Knitting Circle, by Ann Hood. It's the (semi-autobiographical) story of a woman whose only child, a little girl named Stella, dies suddenly at the age of five. This book blew me away. I have never suffered the loss of a child, thank God, and I hope I never will. But I could feel this woman's grief; I could understand her paralyzing fears and inability to move on with her life.

On my better days, I hope that I'm as good a mom as the character in this book. I wish that I could say that every day was a good day; but this book makes me realize what I take for granted: all those little moments that are tiny gifts from God. The way my son smiles and giggles when you tickle him, the way he studies things when he's absorbed, the way he dances, the way he gets so excited to see someone come in, or to go outside and take a walk. His determination that every drink he's given should be juice. The way he clutches his Bear, and the way he sleeps, sprawled.

I have a to-do list on my fridge, and I never get to everything I want to do. For the past few weeks, it's been a struggle for me because I haven't felt well. I get tired easily. But tomorrow, here's my to-do list: Bake cookies (let T help, even if he needs a bath afterwards). Walk to the park and the library. Run around outside and blow bubbles. Trace our hands and make turkeys out of them. Make copies for the grandparents. Read to him whenever he asks.

The Knitting Circle is a good book. Hard to read, but truthful, and though there are some sad endings, there are also happy ones. Oh, and there's lots of knitting. (As if you hadn't guessed.)

No comments: